Originally a rural vacation spot for wealthy 19thcentury Atlantans, Buckhead is now known as a financial hub with high-rise office buildings and high-end shopping and dining. However, just out of view of the bustling commercial district, you’ll find rolling hills and wooded blocks filled with some of Atlanta’s most prestigious and desirable addresses. The Georgia Governor’s Mansion, with its impressive Doric columns and Greek revival architectural style set the bar for luxury along Buckhead’s Tuxedo Drive (W Paces Ferry Road or in Tuxedo Park), and give an air of old-fashioned opulence to the surrounding neighborhoods.
Buckhead includes multiple small parks and greenspaces tucked away amid her stately residences, including Frankie Allen and Nancy Creek, where paths and playgrounds abound. Several larger parks are cherished by local residents as well. Chastain Memorial Park is home to one of Atlanta’s best-loved concert venues, the Chastain Park Amphitheater, but Chastain is known for more than just music! The park’s 260 acres include jogging paths, playgrounds, a golf course, swimming pool and even a horse park. In south Buckhead you will find Atlanta Memorial Park, with serene walking trails, playgrounds and the historic Bobby Jones Golf Course. The newly opened PATH400 Greenway Trail provides additional options for pedestrians and cyclists to enjoy the beautiful Buckhead area.
The Atlanta History Center is located in the heart of a bustling modern Buckhead, but its gardens and 1800s farm exhibition will transport you back to a time when Atlanta was a small rural outpost. Genealogy resources and monthly programs for homeschoolers add to the museum’s appeal. After soaking up the history and culture of Buckhead, head over to Phipps Plaza for a lavish retail experience. Dior, Fendi, Armani, Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton are just a few of the designers you can find in residence. Just steps away from Phipps is Buckhead’s other famous shopping destination, Lenox Square Mall. Home to the annual Macy’s Tree Lighting ceremony and the beloved Pink Pig train ride, a trip to Lenox has been a holiday tradition for Atlanta families for generations.
Featured Attractions in Buckhead
- Bones: Iconic award-winning Atlanta steakhouse
- Holeman & Finch Public House: Gastropub with vintage eats and craft cocktails
- La Grotta Ristorante Italiano: Classic Northern Italian fine dining
- Saltyard: Global tapas and Sunday brunch
- Superica: Authentic Tex-Mex in stylish digs
- Umi: Sophisticated mix of classic and modern Japanese fare
- Brandon Elementary: Assigned Elementary School
- Jackson Elementary: Assigned Elementary School
- Sutton Middle School: Assigned Middle School
- North Atlanta High School: Assigned High School
- Pace Academy: Private Kindergarten / High School
- Westminster Schools: Private Kindergarten / High School
- Buckhead Preparatory School: Preschool
- The Goddard School Buckhead: Preschool
Learn more about Atlanta school ratings in Buckhead at Great Schools.
“Stylish Buckhead is known for its upscale malls and the independent art galleries that cluster around Miami Circle and Bennett Street. Showcasing some of Atlanta’s best schools and indeed most valuable real estate. A highly sought after location to live and work.”Nicholas Brown